Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Stitchers Block

That's what I've had for the past few weeks, hence zero posts on my blog. I've pulled out all my material so many times lately looking for inspiration that the house looked like it had been ransacked. Still nothing jumped out at me. I had so many ideas running around in my head but nothing would take form. It's a frustrating process for me, starting a new project. I eventually found inspiration at the local op shop when I spotted two large batik tablecloths. The pieces are very faded in the middle where they were covering a table that was exposed to sunlight, but the draping sides have kept their colour. For a dollar each they were the bargain of the century and more importantly an idea had formed!


This is the first of a series of blocks based on a "Fantasy Garden" theme. I have used Jude Hill's invisible basting technique to attach all the pieces. The bird and the yellow flowers have been cut from the batik cloth. The clouds are the batik off cuts that were surrounding the bird and flowers. I loved the unusual shapes that appeared after cutting out the pieces. The moon is cut from an old silk tie (another op shop purchase).

Life is good now I'm stitching again!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Judy have missed you around the traps...I like this new work is is great. I also found what you did with the nine patch...would that work over any fabrics will have to try this .....

    Off to visit Ella this morning till Next Tuesday

    Enjoy your stitching

    ReplyDelete
  2. a lovely way to reinterpret the batik. i love the bird!

    ReplyDelete